Summer is the perfect time for BBQs, pool time, and soaking up the sun. This summer may look much different than year’s past, but many restaurants are finding alternative ways to generate revenue and get their business out there. This article will highlight some of the ways businesses are Grilling Up Success with a Custom Food Truck.
To begin, let’s define what sets apart a standard food truck and a custom food truck.
Some entrepreneurial restaurant owners begin their research and find several less expensive, refurbished food trucks on the market. From eBay to Craigslist, the vision of bringing a used food truck to life with a DIY mentality could see appealing. The old says "you get what you pay for" can be subliminally taunting you as you see a $40,000 food truck - fully equipped (regardless of the equipment quality) as a great deal. And for some, that is a perfect solution to get your food truck business started. However, for the restaurateurs, or catering entrepreneurs, or brands utilizing a custom food truck for product sampling, many other factors come into play when making an investment in yourself, your business, and your vision.
A few of the reasons to build a custom food truck can include:
- Customers judge the book by its cover. Plain and simple… each food truck set up at an event or food rally are judged from the exterior. Does the paint and graphics look clean, polished, and modern? Is the exterior clean? Is the staff friendly? You have about 3 seconds to make your first impression, so make it count.
- Custom food truck builders are typically higher-end fabricators that invest in the design, engineering, and production of each unit. Builders like APEX Specialty Vehicles have an onsite engineering and design team that spends 40+ hours on each project upfront designing and engineering each configuration. Lower priced food trucks off of the Internet is simply what you see is what you get. Modifications are not allowed and you have to make your product fit within the confinements. Specialty vehicles design and build to meet your needs.
- Paint and graphics are imperative in the final product. As mentioned before, first impressions are critical. Custom paint and graphics are essential for a high-end food truck that is set up to generate ROI and leave an impression. Specialty builders like APEX have an in-house graphics designer and paint department to help you achieve the highest level of branding and consistency out there.
- High-end equipment performs better than lower quality equipment, which is needed in a high productivity environment. As a custom food truck owner, you don’t have the time, or money, to spend on equipment that repeatedly breaks, or cooks unevenly.
- Warranties are key and often more elaborate when purchasing from a specialty dealer. As an example, APEX backs their fabrication with an unmatched 5-year warranty. The APEX team supports and facilitates the repair process for any warranty/craftsmanship issues, no matter where in the country the truck is located.
The above are a few reasons demonstrating how Grilling Up Success with a Custom Food Truck can be done. Let’s explore a specific example from APEX with a recent build for Apollo Burger, gourmet burger restaurant company with many locations across Utah.
Apollo Burger has many brick and mortar locations and wanted to expand into the mobile food business to brand awareness, and expand sales with attend catering and special events. The vision is to continue expanding the Apollo Burgers brand with the
extension of food trucks.
APEX DESIGN AND ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS
The Apollo Burger custom food truck was designed, engineered, and built by APEX. The fully custom mobile kitchen brings the flame-broiled flavor to the streets in this high end industrial kitchen.
Since opening the first Apollo Burger location in 1984, the restaurant has transformed the way fast food is viewed in Utah by introducing them to tastier and healthier meals than those offered by the big chains.
This project wanted to incorporate a food truck into their business model, but needed to know it offered the same quality and consistent product that their restaurants serve. The food truck needed to have the capability to char-broil the burgers to order, serve the most delicious french fries, create the freshest salads on the spot, and offer their own signature sandwiches, desserts, sauces and salad dressings, without added preservatives. With the mission of every meal being served made-to-order, it was imperative the Apollo Burger food truck carried the same quality standards as the brick and mortar locations, which was successfully accomplished with the APEX custom-built truck.
As we enter into the summer months, let the team at APEX support your vision and bring it to life with our 3D renderings. Reach out to our team to begin the discussion: 800-259-4804.